History

Tradition is our future

An essential element of our brand is a part of the coat of arms of the dukedom of Brunswick containing two Latin elements:

  1. nec aspera terrent – they do not fear anything
  2. immota fides – immovable loyalty. Which is as well device of the fraternity of Henry the Lion, founder of Brunswick.

 

1627
Zaccharis Boiling receives the rights to brew and to sell his beer in Brunswick. This is the first step towards “Hofbrauhaus Wolters”.

 

1734
Heinrich Levin Wolters takes over and from now on 6 generations of the Wolters family will steer the brewery´s course.

 

1876
Duke Herzog Wilhelm of Brunswick appointed Carl Christian Wolters to “Hofbierbrauer”  and entitled him to supply his ducal court.

 

1920
Hofbrauhaus Wolters and Balhornsche Brauerei are founding a public company “Hofbrauhaus Wolters und Balhorn AG”.

 

1943
During the second world war the brewery was destroyed by one third and the successful development stopped abruptly.

 

1947
Reconstruction of the brewery by inheritors of the former owners.

1976
Modernisation of the technical equipment.

 

2000
The brewery belongs to the most modern ones in Germany.

 

2003
The international brewing group InBev bought Hofbrauhaus Wolters.

 

2006
The brewery becomes a private brewery again. Our home market is regional around 70 km around Brunswick.

 

2008
In January 2008 the brewery started the first export activities.

 

2013
Acquisition of Colbitzer Heide-Brauerei.

 

Contact us

Address

Hofbrauhaus Wolters GmbH
Wolfenbütteler Straße 39
38102 Braunschweig
Germany